Factors for selection of materials.
1. Carry prescribed loads: The most significant requirement of a material used in civil engineering project is that it should be able to carry the design loads. In other words, the material should have adequate strength.
2. Durability: Selection of material should be such that it should sustain designed load for design duration or period. It should resist the weathering action caused by wind, rain, snow etc.
3. Economical: In most of the cases, the cost of raw material account about the finished cost. Obviously the cost of the material is a major factor which influences the choice of the material or process.
4. Environmental friendly: A construction material should satisfy all strength, serviceability, and architectural requirement and at the same time, must not cause environmental problem.
5. Aesthetically pleasing: Most nonstructural materials such as floor coverings, paints, and doors and window are chosen based on aesthetic consideration.