The three different IC technologies are
1.Full custom VLSI
3.Programmable Logic Devices (PLD)
The advantages of each of them are as follows :
1. Full custom VLSI
- All layers of full custom IC is optimised and will, therefore, get excellent performance.
- Full custom VLSI devices are optimised to perform fix function.
- Design, testing, and fabrication take too much efforts.
- The development costs of full custom VLSI is very high.
- Full custom VLSI is a type of digital logic devices.
- Full custom VLSI are hardwired.
- All the logic cells and mask layers of full custom VLSI is customised.
- Full custom IC is small in size.
- Full custom IC consume low power.
- Full custom IC have excellent performance.
- Microprocessors and RAM used in computers are the examples of full custom VLSI.
2. Semi-custom ASIC
- In semi-custom ASIC the lower level is fully or partially built.
- The upper level is not built the upper level is finish by the designer.
- The performance of semi-custom ASIC is good.
- The size of semi-custom ASIC is good.
- The NRE cost of semi-custom cost of semi-custom ASIC is low then full custom IC.
- Semi-custom ASIC uses two technology one is standard cell and second is Mask Programmable gate array (MPGA).
- Programming of semi-custom ASIC is done at fabrication level.
- Semi-custom ASIC is advantageous for highest performance in short time.
- Semi-custom ASIC reduces the cost and design time.
3. Programmable Logic Devices (PLD)
- All layers of Programmable Logic devices are built already.
- The designer can directly purchase and IC.
- Programmable Logic devices have low NRE cost.
- Programmable Logic devices are available instantly.
- In PLD there is not customised logic cell or mask layer.