Following are requirements of conductor:-
i) High conductivity :
Material should have high conductivity, So that
* cross section of conductor (size) reduces,
* Copper losses reduces,
* So Efficiency increases
* Voltage drop reduces,
* So Regulation gets improved
ii) High mechanical strength:
Material should have sufficiently high mechanical strength to with stand against
* Rough handling during transportation & Stringing,
* Wind Pressure,
* Ice loading and
* Severe climatic condition
iii) Flexibility: Material should be flexible for
* Easy handling and
iv) Weight: Material should be light in weight to reduce
* Transportation & handling cost.
v) High resistance to corrosion: Material should have high resistance to corrosion
* To avoid rusting
vi) Brittleness: Material should not be brittle.
* So that it will not easily cut after twisting.
vii) Temperature coefficient of resistance: Material should have low temperature coefficient of resistance.
viii) Availability & cost: Material should be easily available & less costly.
ix) Scrap Value: Material should have high scrap value.
Properties of Aluminium
1. Electrical conductivity is next to that of copper
2. Electrical resistivity is 2.699 micro ohm cm at 20°
3. Good conductor of heat and electricity.
4. Temperature coefficient of resistance of resistance is 0.00412.
5. It forms useful alloys with iron ,copper,zinc and other metals.
6. It is ductile and malleable
7. Melting point is 658°C
8. Boiling point is 1820°C
9. Specific gravity is 2.7
10. High resistance to corrosion.