Following Main Electrical Equipment used in HPS & their function:
1. Alternator 2. Exciter 3. Transformer 4. Switchgear
1) Alternator:- Alternator is coupled to water turbine and converts mechanical energy of the turbine into electrical energy. The alternator may be hydrogen or air cooled. The necessary excitation is provided by means of main & pilot exciters directly coupled to the alternator shaft.
2) Exciter:- Exciter is Dc compound generator. It is mounted the same shaft of the Water turbine and alternator. It excites the field winding of alternator.
3) Transformer :- A generating station has different types of transformers viz, Main step-up transformer which step-up the generation voltage for transmission of power. Station Transformer which are used for general services (e.g lighting) in the power station. Auxiliary transformer which supply to individual unit-auxiliaries.
4) Switchgear: - It houses such equipment which locates the fault on the system and isolates the fault part from the healthy section. It contains circuit breaker, relays, switches and other control devices.